My Photo
Name:
Location: Imperfect World

My name is Julia and I'm writing a sci-fi/fantasy novel about bloggers and wanted a place to work on the fictional blogs of my characters. This is just for fun and to get into character. Which means it's not going to be 'canon' - I don't want to worry about sticking to what is written here. This is an exercise to get me in the writing mood each day without commitment or thinking or worrying about grammar or flow. Sort of 'free style' whatever is in my heart kind of writing. The actual novel takes place roughly 20 years into the future from this point in time, so my characters are much younger than they will be in the novel. At some point I may start my own 'author blog'.

STOP THE TRAFFIK

Friday, September 22, 2006

Getting back in the flow

It's been a long summer and I had to stop writing for a while because of the kids. Now that they are in school 3 days a week the plan has been to dedicate that time to writing. So far it's not going so well.

In order to try to get back into the flow and to also start keeping track of articles I come across in a better way, I'm going to post more often.

Right now I don't have any articles that strike me- though I've missed many in this time and can't find them again.

One thing that has struck me today, almost to tears, is a song by Madison Park called "Opus One". It really gets at the heart of what I'm feeling when it comes to the Chimera and Mozaics at Delphi.

Lyrics

How is it, how do we hurt them?
We turn our heads from their pain.
With no regard, to how they're feeling.
They spend their lives in such disdain.
Are we not civilized I thought we cared about life
But to always to deprive a fair way of living

To spend their lives in so small a cage not much larger than their body frame
They can't lie down or stretch their legs
They never see the light of day. Ever. And I mean never.
Day in day out it's all the same.
Ever. And I mean never.
Their life is spent in pain.

How is it? How do we hurt them we turn our heads from their pain.
With no regard to how they're feeling.
They spend their lives in such disdain.
Can we not understand that they're under our hand?
That it's all up to us it's our job to help them.
To spend your life in so small a cage not much larger than your body frame
You never see the light of day, Ever. And I mean never
Day in day out it's all the same.
Ever. And I mean never.
Their life is spent in pain.

*********

It's haunting. Because I KNOW she's singing about animals that we use to eat... and it is cruel and horrible, but people just don't get it, or they don't care. Because these are just 'animals'. Now, I'm no vegitarian, I believe meat and leather and animal resources are valid for human consumption. It's the way we treat animals and the ethics and lack of empathy surrounding decisions made by corporations as well as individuals when it comes to developing their world view.

In my book, through creating creatures who are genetically human AND animal I will explore the concept of 'animal'. From racism to class struggle to the worst criminals to intelligent pets to mindless insects... where and why do we draw the lines that tell us how to treat living beings?

And what do our decisions say about us?

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking about when I'm writing. And this post has been good, it got me all fired up again. :) Now to get to it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home