My Photo
Name:
Location: Imperfect World

My name is Julia and I'm writing a sci-fi/fantasy novel about bloggers and wanted a place to work on the fictional blogs of my characters. This is just for fun and to get into character. Which means it's not going to be 'canon' - I don't want to worry about sticking to what is written here. This is an exercise to get me in the writing mood each day without commitment or thinking or worrying about grammar or flow. Sort of 'free style' whatever is in my heart kind of writing. The actual novel takes place roughly 20 years into the future from this point in time, so my characters are much younger than they will be in the novel. At some point I may start my own 'author blog'.

STOP THE TRAFFIK

Thursday, October 05, 2006

DNA Chimera for medical research...

I've been sick and so have my kids, so I haven't been writing - which is very frustrating... I've got so many ideas going and I was just starting to get organized...

But tomorrow I should be back into the laptop to work on Chapter 5...

meanwhile, I saw this today and had to post it...

It's happening, just as I have predicted. Scientists are making Chimera in order to experiment on the embryo's. How long will it be before they let them grow to Fetus, or to actually be born? Not too much longer... And I need to write my book before it stops being a futuristic sci-fi novel. *L*

Link to Article below

**********

Scientists to create 'frankenbunny' in big research leap
05.10.06

Rabbit research: Experiments could day one cure Alzheimer's

Scientists are planning to create a "frankenrabbit" by fusing together human cells with a rabbit egg.

It is hoped the "chimeric" embryos, which would be 99.9 per cent human and 0.1 per cent rabbit, could lead to breakthroughs in stem cell research which could one day cure diseases such as Alzheimer's or spinal cord injury.

The embryos will allow scientists to perfect stem cell creation techniques without using human eggs.

"If we learn how to do this with animal eggs, we should be able to have more success with human eggs, and I'd much rather know that if we were going to ask women to donate eggs that we were very likely to get stem cells as a result," said Chris Shaw, at the Institute of Psychiatry.

"We know this is a huge challenge after Dr Hwang in South Korea failed to get stem cells despite having 2,000 human eggs."

Teams in London, Edinburgh and Newcastle are to submit application to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority this month, requesting licences to create embryos that will be 99.9 per cent human and 0.1 per cent rabbit or cow.

The HFEA is encouraging the applications after legal advice. The embryos will be allowed to grow for only 14 days, at which point they will be cells smaller than a pinhead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home