My Photo
Name:
Location: Imperfect World

My name is Julia and I'm writing a sci-fi/fantasy novel about bloggers and wanted a place to work on the fictional blogs of my characters. This is just for fun and to get into character. Which means it's not going to be 'canon' - I don't want to worry about sticking to what is written here. This is an exercise to get me in the writing mood each day without commitment or thinking or worrying about grammar or flow. Sort of 'free style' whatever is in my heart kind of writing. The actual novel takes place roughly 20 years into the future from this point in time, so my characters are much younger than they will be in the novel. At some point I may start my own 'author blog'.

STOP THE TRAFFIK

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Plugging away...

It's time to really start getting disciplined. The holidays are over and the kids are back in school and I have been distracted long enough from writing that I need to just do it!

I have been doing a lot of research and purposefully not putting things on this board as I'm not sure how much I want to put out publically. Mostly philosophy and outline type of stuff that puts me into a great frame of mind because it's getting more organized. I have to rewrite an entire chapter (plan to do that tomorrow) because I had a conversation last for 25 pages! And that is just RIDICULOUS. With the new outline I can start fresh and just write what I need to have them say.

The way I write is to just let it flow. I know what my characters are like and I know what they need to share with each other. But in this case they just go on too many rabbit trails... which is natural and normal for any type of conversation that is real, but in a single chapter you can't just do that - can you? I don't know. I don't think so. So tomorrow I will rewrite it completely from a point where it went awry. I was going to try to edit it, but that was taking me so long to figure out what to cut out and still have them flow naturally from one topic to the next.

I have beend doing a few things to keep in the spirit of the book - like making videos of myself on myspace and other video spaces, both because I enjoy it and to get the feeling of what it must be like to be seen. That urge to see who is replying and what people think is pretty strong. I can understand how vloggers would get so excited to put up something more and more radical just to get attention. There was actually a 20/20 episode about the craze for fame that said people are more interested in being famous than anything.

I've also seen a few other things I'm including in my book that are actually happening already. The excessive and against their knowledge air brushing of actresses, the animation added to sports game (saw a comet like football today), people flocking to videos of deformed or abnormal looking people, I heard someone got a tail surgically attached! At this rate, I'm going to have to move my date up another 20 years and have it take place in 5 years!! *L*

Hope I can actually write it by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home